Monday, August 13, 2012

New Semester

Getting ready for the new semester, today was full of tedious tasks like organizing a library...in another language. I can read a bit of Korean, but definite brain overload trying to get hundreds of Korean books in order. Well, finished in under 5 hours and the school is officially ready for all those little terrors to come pouring in tomorrow.

One of the highlights of the day: The school has finally been repainted! I've been fighting the temptation to skip down the hall like a little girl. :)

 Here are a few pictures of my work space and my little closet:
My messy desk wedged in between the fridge and the wall.

English material room where my desk is. I don't know what it is about this place but I love it in my closet :)
Another small accomplishment of the day: Made a new phonics game called 'Pirate Ship':


How to Make and Play Pirate Ship:
  1. What you need: Three cardboard ships with sails (made with cardboard, paper and long tooth picks), a game board with various sized islands (big ones worth one point, smaller ones two), laminated gold chips, letters written on hard card with a fold so they can be taped upright. 
  2. The set up: Tape a letter onto each island and set each ship at a different corner of the board.
  3. How to play: The kids have one shot to try to blow their ship onto an island. If they land on an island they have to think of a word that starts with the letter on that island. If they get it right they collect coins for the amount on the island. 

 And while on the pirate theme, here is my secret to keeping even the wildest of classes in check:

The Treasure Box:



Seriously, the treasure box is probably one of the most awesome ways to motivate kids. One of my favorite things about teaching in China is the abundance of little this and thats for a penny! Collecting little things here and there is a new favorite hobby of mine.

Well, Im going to leave it here. Hope some of this was useful!

YT

No comments: